- LAN (Local Area Network)
- WAN (Wide Area Network)
- MAN (Metropolitan Area Network)
- PAN (Personal Area Network)
Besides that, according to what Dr. Dayang taught, the network are usually categorized and classified by using 3 properties, which are
- Topology (geometric arrangement of network)
- Protocol (common set of rules and signals the computer on the network use to communicate)
- Architecture (peer to peer/ client/ server)
In an internet network there are 4 devices that from the outside look very similar.
A bridge goes one step up on a hub in that it looks at the destination of the packet before sending. If the destination address is not on the other side of the bridge it will not transmit the data. A bridge only has one incoming and one outgoing port.